[Samba] Permission denied mystery

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Sat Apr 7 08:38:21 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Fedora 276, x64

$ rpm -qa samba\*
samba-winbind-clients-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-common-libs-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-client-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-common-tools-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-libs-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-common-4.7.6-0.fc27.noarch
samba-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-client-libs-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-winbind-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-dc-libs-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64
samba-winbind-modules-4.7.6-0.fc27.x86_64

I have a mystery to solve.  I just put a Windows Nein, oops,
Windows 10 Pro,x64 machine on a customer's network.  It can
access four of the five Samba shares like this one:

[public]
     comment = Public on Alpine FedoraServer -- Mount as F:
     path = /exports/public
     valid users = @users
     write list = @users
     force group = users
     force user = public

     locking = yes
     oplocks = no
     fake oplocks = no
     level2 oplocks = no
     strict locking = no
     blocking locks = no
     public = no
     writable = yes
     printable = no
     browseable = yes

     force create mode = 0000
     create mode = 0777
     force directory mode = 0000
     directory mode = 0777
     # note default "map archive" is "yes"
     map archive = yes
     map system = yes
     map hidden = yes

But gets "permission Denied" on this one:

[netlogon]
# not being used as this is a now workgroup server.
# netlogon left in place to copy out the logon.bat to the user's start up.
# These entries left in place in case this server is used as a PDC
# in the future

     comment = Network Logon Service (X:)
     path = /exports/netlogon

     valid users = @users
     write list = @users
     force group = users
     force user = public

     locking = yes
     oplocks = no
     fake oplocks = no
     level2 oplocks = no
     strict locking = no
     blocking locks = no
     public = no
     writable = yes
     printable = no
     browseable = yes

     force create mode = 0000
     create mode = 0777
     force directory mode = 0000
     directory mode = 0777
     # note default "map archive" is "yes"
     map archive = yes
     map system = yes
     map hidden = yes

The remaining four XP machines have no issue with any of the shares.

What the heck?????  Does Windows "I can't count (10)" have an
issue with the share's name?

There is nothing in /var/log/messages or /var/log/samba/* about
any permission issues.

-T