[Samba] Binding to AD 2016

Steve Hideg hideg at saintmarys.edu
Thu Apr 5 20:36:04 UTC 2018

Hello.

We have a file server running Samba version 3.5.4-0.70.el5 on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux Server release 5.6 that is bound to our AD domain and uses
AD for authentication and file ownership.

Additionally, we have a few other Linux VMs of similar vintage (RedHat 5.x)
that are bound to AD using Winbind (Samba v 3.0, 3.3, 3.5).

Our present AD environment is running at 2003 functional level.

We have embarked on a project to raise AD to 2016 functional level.

Can anyone tell me if our Linux servers bound in this manner with old
versions of Samba and Winbind would still work correctly and bind and
authenticate when we elevate our AD domain to 2016 level?

Thank you.

Steve Hideg
Senior Networking & Systems Administrator
Department of Information Technology
Saint Mary's College
hideg at saintmarys.edu