[Samba] Operation Not Supported error for GETXATTR when VFS plugin "nfs4acl_xattr" is used

Ralph Böhme slow at samba.org
Thu Apr 5 11:17:05 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 04:09:26PM +0530, Akash Jain via samba wrote:
> Hello All
>
> I am trying to use nfs4acl_xattr plugin from samba source code.
>
> https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/vfs_nfs4acl_xattr.8.html
>
> I mounted NFSv4 mount point locally and exported it through samba with vfs
> objects set to nfs4acl_xattr.
>
> *[root at test3 ajain]# net conf showshare local[local]        path =
> /home/ajain/mount        comment = local share        guest ok = no
> read only = no        hosts allow = ALL        vfs objects = nfs4acl_xattr*
>

> The share is not accessible when the plugin is enabled and I see all the
> accesses fail with EOPNOTSUPP (errno 95).

the module as is isn't directly compatible with NFSv4 ACLs as described in the
manpage.

Setting nfs4acl_xattr:encoding=xdr and nfs4acl_xattr:xattr_name=system.nfs4_acl
are needed in the config, but you will need to adapt the code to deal with
string name identifiers instead of ids.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team       https://samba.org/