[Samba] [4.8] unix extensions negotiation and os x

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Apr 3 18:16:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, Apr 03, 2018 at 12:09:52PM +0200, Aurélien Aptel via samba wrote:
> Dan Janowski via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> writes:
>
> > [ Unknown signature status ]
> > Does os x (10.13) support negotiation of unix extensions/CIFS?
> >
> > When hard links didn’t work I dug in and while I found info on CAP_UNIX, and added ‘unix extensions = yes’ globally, the Negotiation makes no mentions:
>
> > I’m far from sure I’m looking at this the right way. Any hints greatly appreciated.
>
> Unix extensions havent been designed for SMB2 yet. I'm not sure which
> version of the protocol OSX tries to connect with (1 or 2+ ; I suspect
> it's 2) but if you want these extensions you have to use SMB1, which is
> also deprecated at this point.

I have an experimental branch that implements Unix extensions
over SMB2 here:

https://git.samba.org/?p=jra/samba/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-smb2

Everything should work except symlinks and device/fifo/named
pipe objects in the filesystem.

Feel free to experiment, I update it as I have time and once
we've got something that looks reasonable, we can have a go
at standardizing the "official" protocol extensions.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.