[Samba] Share users across domains

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 2 13:51:30 UTC 2018

On Mon, 02 Apr 2018 13:06:16 +0000
Rodrigo Abrantes Antunes via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

>   A lot of administrative systems made by the institution, current
> domain, fileservers, glpi, cyrus mail, horde, gosa, svn, freeradius,
> dotproject, vcenter. Thats what I remebmber for now.

OK, I just spent about 10 minutes searching the internet and found out
this:

current domain : can be replaced by Sanba AD
fileservers    : As above

glpi           : will work with AD, see here:
                 http://wiki.glpi-project.org/doku.php?id=en:ldap

cyrus mail     : This can probably be made to work with AD, but you
would probably be better off moving to Postfix/Dovecot

horde          : This will work with AD, but you will probably need to
                 move to Dovecot

gosa           : You would probably be better off using LAM, this is
                 still being developed, unlike Gosa, which seems to
                 have stalled.

svn            : will work with AD

freeradius     : This definitely works with AD, see here
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Authenticating_Freeradius_against_Active_Directory

dotproject     : will work with AD
vcenter        : will work with AD

What I am trying to say is, you will probably find it easier to make
your infrastructure work with AD, rather than trying to keep Samba 3
working. You may find it easier to move some of your systems to other,
newer packages, for instance, you could upgrade your email system to
something like Kopano.

You will certainly have something more secure than what you have at the
moment, especially if you use kerberos.

Rowland