[Samba] Share users across domains

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 13:00:24 UTC 2018

I moved from Samba 3 to Samba 4, with samba domain controllers and
remaining in a classic domain several years ago with out too much
trouble.     Obviously backup your /etc/samba and /var/lib/samba (or
similar) directories. Default settings will change between versions so
you do have to plan for some troubleshooting.             The safer
approach may be to setup a new domain controller as a BDC and see how
that works out.

With classic domains, trusts are completely unreliable.

With Samba AD domains, I believe trusts are not completely implemented.

In short, don't plan for using trusts with samba domains.   And a lot of
what you use trusts for can be done with OU's instead.

I have to say I am a little surprised any one can make Samba 3 work any
more (unless they are NOT patching all their windows systems.)