[Samba] Replication Error Between Differing Samba Versions During Upgrade

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Fri Sep 29 22:37:39 UTC 2017

Hey all-

Trying to upgrade the domain and running into issues getting my data into the
new controller.

Current configuration:
dc0 - Ubuntu 12.04.2 - Samba: 2:4.0.6-12
dc1 - Ubuntu 12.04.2 - Samba: 2:4.0.6-8
dc2 - Ubuntu 12.04.3 - Samba: 2:4.0.6-8

I'm trying upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04.3, Samba: 2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.10

The documentation
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#The_Update_Process) recommends
updating in place, but the standard practice I have to work around is to create
a new server and decommission old servers. In my test instance, I'm trying to do
this by introducing dc3 already at the OS and Samba version listed above. This
section
(https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Updating_Multiple_Samba_Domain_Controllers)
suggests that running different versions of domain controllers in the same
domain is OK and should not be the inherent problem.

The current state of things is that for dc0, dc1, dc2:
* "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" returns no errors
* "samba-tool drs showrepl" returns no errors (and just the expected warning about "No NC replicated for Connection")
* "samba-tool ldapcmp --filter=msDS-NcType,serverState,subrefs" returns no errors

dc3 is a bit funky:
* attempts to connect to this dc in ADUC results in "The RPC server is unavailable"
* "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" returns no errors
* "samba-tool drs showrepl" returns no errors (and just the expected warning about "No NC replicated for Connection")
* "samba-tool ldapcmp --filter=msDS-NcType,serverState,subrefs" returns a HUGE amount of errors, e.g.:

Comparing:
'CN=NTDS Quotas,DC=example,DC=com' [ldap://dc0.example.com]
'CN=NTDS Quotas,DC=example,DC=com' [ldap://dc3.example.com]
    Attributes found only in ldap://dc0.example.com:
        distinguishedName
        isCriticalSystemObject
        cn
        name
        objectCategory
        objectClass
        msDS-TombstoneQuotaFactor
        objectGUID
        systemFlags
        whenCreated
        showInAdvancedViewOnly
        instanceType
        description
    FAILED

Forcing replication from a good domain controller "samba-tool drs replicate dc3
dc0 'DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM'" returns successfully but does not remove any of the
errors shown from the ldapcmp command. Adding the "--sync-forced --sync-all
--full-sync" flags does not change the outcome. Replicating on all the NCs (e.g.
"CN=Configuration,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM") does not change the outcome.

I also found that the LDB databases (which I believe are initially populated on
domain join) are missing data. On one of the old controllers, "ldbsearch -H
/var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/DC%3DEXAMPLE,DC%3DCOM.ldb -b "cn=dc0,OU=Domain
Controllers,DC=EXAMPLE,DC=COM"" returns good data:

# record 1
dn: CN=DC0,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=example,DC=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: user
objectClass: computer
cn: DC0
instanceType: 4
whenCreated: 20130703181107.0Z
uSNCreated: 3583

But on dc3, it returns only:

# record 1
dn: CN=DC0,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=example,DC=com

# record 2
dn: CN=RID Set,CN=DC0,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=example,DC=com

# returned 2 records 2 entries 0 referrals

Before I ran into this issue, I was having issues just getting replication to
work at all ("samba-tool drs showrepl" would show errors). dc3 complained about
WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE from dc0 and dc1 (it is unclear why, but dc3 never
complained about dc2). After spending a long time looking and checking many
other things, I eventually found this thread
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2014-August/184479.html. While the
original author seems to not have needed it, I found that this level of
replication issue (WERR_GENERAL_FAILURE) was fixed by adding the GUID CNAME
records to /etc/hosts file of dc3. Other than that, I have not done anything to
the domain controller after provisioning it (to my recollection -- it's been a
long couple of days).

I've copied the running domain into an isolated environment and can play with it
without impacting any users/services, so feel free to recommend anything.

Thanks,

Mike Ray