[Samba] Trusted domain with different short name to DNS name.

A. James Lewis james at fsck.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 20:03:33 UTC 2017

September 28, 2017 8:52 PM, "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-09-28 at 13:57 +0000, A. James Lewis via samba wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I have 2 trusted domains to deal with, "DEV" and "TODEV", and I have configured smb.conf like
>> this:-
>>
>> The issue is that "TODEV" is the short name, while the DNS name is to.dev.domain.local.... I can
>> see group memberships in "DEV", but not in TODEV... presumably because there's no way for Samba to
>> map the TODEV short name to a DNS "SRV" query to find the LDAP server details.
>>
>> What would be the correct way to go about this when the domain short name, and the DNS don't match?
>
> We generally don't make simplistic mappings like that. We connect to
> the domain and ask it for both of its names.
>
> Andrew Bartlett

OK, but I'm slightly lost trying to work out how it knows the domain exists in the first place, or what it's DNS name is... does it get that through the main domain, or is there some other magic that occurs, since it definitely can't get from TODEV to to.dev, I don't think at least.

--
A. James Lewis (james at fsck.co.uk)
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people