[Samba] Winbind group membership not updating

Malte zu Klampen malte.zuklampen at ifg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Sep 26 09:16:46 UTC 2017

Hej,

There are no Linux users (above 1000 that is), and there never will be.

net cache flush does absolutely nothing.

I've already suspected that the version might be at fault and checked
4.7.0 with the same result.

I suspect the problem is not a bug per se, but an architectural problem
with how sessions are constructed. As far as I can tell, group
membership is resolved once at the start of the session, and never
updated (or the session terminated and the client forced to re-auth)
until the client logs off.

But even if i kill their session, it immediately respawns with outdated
groups.

Here's what I'm doing:

Create a share that requires a specific group
Add user to group
Log in user on Windows client, connect to share
Remove user from group
Log in user on a different Windows client, try to connect to the share

What happens:

The share remains accessible from the first client
User gets denied on the second client

Even if I kill the session on the server, it is immediately respawned. I
simply can not keep them from accessing the share from the first client
unless they log off.

How do I work around this? I can't hound people I (automatically, I
might add) remove from groups to log off. I can accept a delay, but at
some point after losing group membership they should get booted off the
server automatically.