[Samba] Help win10 join

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 20 16:11:37 UTC 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 17:41:26 +0200
Marco Gemignani <marko.gem at inwind.it> wrote:

> Uh, i have a lot of script based on ubuntu so i prefer use ubuntu
>
> i'm testing it on a VM, and is so simple now create an AD, and now
> w10 join this new domain with no problem.
> But now how i can let samba user log locally on the server? I have to
> join the sistem to the domain?
>

> Sorry for my stupids question....

So I take it you now have a Samba AD DC running in a VM and have joined
a Win10 machine to the domain. You now want a domain user to be able to
login directly into the Samba AD DC.

Provided you have installed the right packages, it may just be as
simple as telling /etc/nsswitch.conf to use winbind for the passwd &
group lines.

You will also have to add a couple of lines to the smb.conf:

        template shell = /bin/bash
        template homedir = /home/%U

The last line isn't that important, the default is:

        template homedir = /home/%D/%U

With this you will have to create a directory in /home named after your
WORKGROUP (it has to be in uppercase)

Finally, add this line to /etc/pam.d/common-session :

session    required   pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ umask=0022

So, what packages did you install before you provisioned Samba ?
i.e. apt-get install samba ????????????????

Rowland