[Samba] samba 4 ad member - idmap = ad for machine accounts

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Tue Sep 19 10:39:38 UTC 2017

Mandi! L.P.H. van Belle via samba
  In chel di` si favelave...

> I did loose a bit what the exact problem was here but i can to explain a bit here.

Probably i'm making some confusion here, but just stated by other
before, we are not speaking about SYSTEM user.

In microsoft windows client OS, if you try to connect to a share
with the local SYSTEM user, the client try first with the machine
account user and password, then try anonymously (then fail ;).

So, trying to restate the question more precisely: machine accounts are
ID_BOTH ''users'', so cannot have UID/GID assigned, or i can assign to
machine account a UID (and assign to 'Domain Computers' a GID)?

I think that if we add UID to machine account (and GID to Domain Computers
group), machine account access to share will work exactly as for RID
backend...

Better now? Thanks.