[Samba] samba 4 ad member - idmap = ad for machine accounts

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Mon Sep 18 13:22:11 UTC 2017

Hi Kacper,

> 1) I have v. important windows application that is running as windows
> service as "SYSTEM" account. It writes a lot of image-type files.
> Because it's running as SYSTEM, machine account has to have "read/write"
> to the share.

Ok. You might take a look if you can lower the account rights from
SYSTEM to "Network Service" account. It still has access to the Kerberos
machine account for network connection, but runs with lower privileges.

> 2)'m using some machine autostart scripts, for various tasks, which work
> again as SYSTEM, so if they have to get anything from network share,
> they need to have read/write permission. What I'm doing is, for example,
> as autostart run a batch script, that would check
> \\fileserver\public\test-file.txt if %COMPTURNAME% exists in this file.
> if not - run some robocopy script, then >> %COMPUTERNAME% to the end of
> the file.
> or even something simple like this:
> "if exist \\server\share\%computername%.txt (exit)
> else robocopy some-files
> echo . > \\server\share\%computername%.txt
> exit"

I try to avoid using this kind of remote connection in scripts if
possible because there are so many things that can go wrong with network
on a workstation... I'd rather create a software package (you might
check WAPT at wapt.fr for that) so that every needed pieces are on the
computer when it has to run.

> 3) Some windows applications that I use also run as SYSTEM account and
> they have built-in backup utilities, and if I want to backup straight to
> network share - again - machine account needs direct write access to share.

If possible, you might try to have the backups done the other way
around. Indeed, if the windows workstation get a ransomware, it will
have the credentials to also cryptolock the backup share (even thought I
guess malware writers currently don't bother to use machine Kerberos
account).

> I do know that machine accounts are "normal" accounts, and I tried
> simply adding them to windows ACL, but it just tidn't work. I had to go
> with "idmap = rid", and it did just fine, so the issue must be iwth
> idmap backend - ad not supplying valid uid for winbind, right?

RID is just fine as an IDMAP. Actually, it is the best solution in the
large majority of cases. If you use RID, all fileservers will have the
same mapping. Yeah your DC won't have a consistent mapping, but you
mostly don't care (and using the plain old TDB mapping on DC will
prevent you from falling into the "domain admins" gidnumber vs xidnumber
pitfall).

Cheers,

Denis

--