[Samba] File server questions ( about the ntp question )

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Mon Sep 18 08:25:46 UTC 2017

Hai,

Sorry for the long responce on this one, had a few days off.

Some importent extra info here.

If you run systemctl status ntp, you wil see if ntp is running correctly.
The PC's, wil get there time through samba AD ( via /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd )

Linux clients needs ntp, point to the AD server(s)
Windows ( domain joined ) clients get time through AD.
Windows standalone, you need to configure the ntp client in windows and point to AD DC.

Run on linux : ntpq -qq Or ntpq -pn 127.0.0.1 or

Other option is : apt-get install ntpstat
Run : ntpstat

If you see errors, first thing you should check if the following.

On which interfaces and ipnumbers is ntp running.
netstat -taupn|grep udp|grep ntp

And if you use the inteface lines, ( one or more )
#interface listen lo
#interface listen eth0
#interface ignore wildcard
#interface ignore ipv6

Disable these, and try again.

There is probely something going wrong then due to ntp trying to get time over ipv6 which is disabled.

This command will tell you more about it.
strace ntpq -pn ::1|& grep -i conn

Greetz,

Louis