[Samba] Help win10 join

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 18 08:19:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 10:03:52 +0200
Marco Gemignani <marko.gem at inwind.it> wrote:

> Because i'm using this it now, and i not know how to use built in
> LDAP in samba, and olso use it for linux users

You use it much the same way that you use Openldap, it is just that
some of the syntax is different.

A Samba AD DC comes with 'samba-tool', you can add users and groups
with this, but this is just the tip of the iceberg, running 'samba-tool
--help' produces this:

Usage: samba-tool <subcommand>

Main samba administration tool.

  -h, --help       show this help message and exit

  Version Options:
    -V, --version  Display version number

Available subcommands:
  dbcheck     - Check local AD database for errors.
  delegation  - Delegation management.
  dns         - Domain Name Service (DNS) management.
  domain      - Domain management.
  drs         - Directory Replication Services (DRS) management.
  dsacl       - DS ACLs manipulation.
  fsmo        - Flexible Single Master Operations (FSMO) roles management.
  gpo         - Group Policy Object (GPO) management.
  group       - Group management.
  ldapcmp     - Compare two ldap databases.
  ntacl       - NT ACLs manipulation.
  processes   - List processes (to aid debugging on systems without setproctitle).
  rodc        - Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC) management.
  sites       - Sites management.
  spn         - Service Principal Name (SPN) management.
  testparm    - Syntax check the configuration file.
  time        - Retrieve the time on a server.
  user        - User management.
For more help on a specific subcommand, please type: samba-tool <subcommand> (-h|--help)

You can also do most of these things from Windows.

You can use the ldaptools (ldapsearch etc) against the database, but
Samba comes with ldbtools which work in much the same way.

I think however, you may be concerned about extending the schema for
things like email, all of this is possible.

So, next question ?

Rowland