[Samba] Newer SMBTREE versions don't find all systems.

David F. df7729 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 02:12:46 UTC 2017

Hi,

Trying the latest version again tonight 4.6.7 it has the same problem
I've seen with the prior newer versions as well.  The one I went back
to was 4.4.15 which works.   What is happening right now is there is a
Win2K3 box that is the domain server, with thecompanydomain.com
(NetBIOS domain name: COMPANY).   That has the __MSBROWSE__ on it.  I
have a Linux Wheezy system on that is part of WORKGROUP and that also
has the __MSBROWSE__ on it.     On Win7 which is a member of the
COMPANY domain and view network I see the PC1, PC2, I see the Wheezy
machine, see another one that is a VM, See the main domain server,
another terminal server, and a Win2K8R2 sever in a VM with SMBv1
disabled, and a NAS device.

When I run smbtree -N -S using the 4.4.15 version from another system,
I get WORKGROUP showing then indented under it are the two Wheezy
systems (VM and machine), the NAS, and the Win2K8R2 sever with SMBv1
disabled, then COMPANY and indented under that is the main domain
server.

When I run smbtree -N-S using the more current versions say 4.6.7, I
see the same stuff under WORKGROUP then again COMPANY shows, but
nothing under it.

This is the same even if "client max protocol=SMB3" is in the config file.

I have another person who sees nothing when the "client max
protocol=SMB3" is in there with the 4.4.15 version.  If he removes
that line, then smbtree shows his systems.

Also, trying to manually access shares on the Win2K8R2 server here,
using 4.4.15 and 4.6.7, it will not work unless "client max
protocol=SMB3" is in the conf file.  If it's in there I can see the
shares, if not, no shares are shown?

So something happened at least with smbtree, and having to have the
max protocol for accessing the shares conflicts with another person
who can't see any systems if that is in there.

This usage is on boot media that goes from different networks so it
needs to have the samba tool just work, but it's not that simple.  Any
ideas what's going on?

TIA!!