[Samba] samba 4 ad member - idmap = ad for machine accounts

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 17 20:46:42 UTC 2017

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 21:37:37 +0200
Kacper Wirski via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> Thanks for quick reply.
>
> File server config looks exactly like this, except more shares, all
> with same simple config. I know that "use defualt domain" isn't
> necessery, but it's not the issue for me right now.
>
> [global]
>         netbios name = VS-FILES
>         security = ADS
>         workgroup = MYDOMAIN
>         realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
>
>         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>         log level = 1
>
>         idmap config *:backend = tdb
>         idmap config *:range = 100-2000
>

>         idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad
>         idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
>         idmap config MYDOMAIN:range = 4000-99999

Have you read the Samba wikipage I pointed you to ?

Your '*' range tramples all over the local system users and ends 1000
above where the local Unix users & groups are supposed to be stored.

>          winbind enum users = yes
>          winbind enum groups = yes

You should remove the above two lines once you have everything working,
you should only use them for testing purposes.

>          winbind nested groups = yes
>          winbind expand groups = 5
>          winbind use default domain = yes
>          winbind nss info = rfc2307
>          vfs objects = acl_xattr
>          map acl inherit = yes
>          store dos attributes = yes
>
> [SOME_SHARE]
>          path = /home/shares/SOME_SHARE/
>          read only = no
>

> Some uses I have for machine accounts:
> 1) I have v. important windows application that is running as windows
> service as "SYSTEM" account. It writes a lot of image-type files.
> Because it's running as SYSTEM, machine account has to have
> "read/write" to the share.

'SYSTEM' is a Windows group and is meaningless to Unix, it should be
mapped to a Unix ID only on a Samba AD DC and there it is an
'xidNumber' not a 'uidNumber or 'gidNumber'. Running 'wbinfo -S
S-1-5-18' (the SID for 'SYSTEM' is S-1-5-8-18) on a UNIX domain member,
returns:
failed to call wbcSidToUid: WBC_ERR_DOMAIN_NOT_FOUND
Could not convert sid S-1-5-18 to uid

However "wbinfo -Y  S-1-5-18" returns:
2005 (note your ID may be different)

As I said, you could use the kerberos machine account instead, but are
these scripts being run on the fileserver, Samba DC or windows
machines ? if the later, then you shouldn't need a Unix IDs.

> 2)'m using some machine autostart scripts, for various tasks, which
> work again as SYSTEM, so if they have to get anything from network
> share, they need to have read/write permission. What I'm doing is,
> for example, as autostart run a batch script, that would check
> \\fileserver\public\test-file.txt if %COMPTURNAME% exists in this
> file. if not - run some robocopy script, then >> %COMPUTERNAME% to
> the end of the file.
> or even something simple like this:
> "if exist \\server\share\%computername%.txt (exit)
> else robocopy some-files
> echo . > \\server\share\%computername%.txt
> exit"

That looks like a Windows script (not that I am an expert on Windows
script languages) so I presume that it is run a Windows machine and
'SYSTEM' should be available on it via its name or SID.

> 3) Some windows applications that I use also run as SYSTEM account
> and they have built-in backup utilities, and if I want to backup
> straight to network share - again - machine account needs direct
> write access to share.

Hmm, I think I am beginning to understand your problem, you are
confusing 'SYSTEM' with the computers account in AD.

'SYSTEM' does not exist in AD, so you cannot give it a uidNumber or
gidNumber attribute.

I think you need to find another way to do what you are doing now.

> I do know that machine accounts are "normal" accounts, and I tried
> simply adding them to windows ACL, but it just tidn't work. I had to
> go with "idmap = rid", and it did just fine, so the issue must be
> iwth idmap backend - ad not supplying valid uid for winbind, right?

You should be able to add a uidNumber to a computer, but to make it
work as a user on Unix, you will have to give the Domain Computers
group a gidNumber.

Rowland