[Samba] samba 4 ad member - idmap = ad for machine accounts

Kacper Wirski k.wirski at babkamedica.pl
Sun Sep 17 19:37:37 UTC 2017

Hello,
Thanks for quick reply.

File server config looks exactly like this, except more shares, all with
same simple config. I know that "use defualt domain" isn't necessery,
but it's not the issue for me right now.

[global]
        netbios name = VS-FILES
        security = ADS
        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        realm = MYDOMAIN.COM

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 1

        idmap config *:backend = tdb
        idmap config *:range = 100-2000

        idmap config MYDOMAIN:backend = ad
        idmap config MYDOMAIN:schema_mode = rfc2307
        idmap config MYDOMAIN:range = 4000-99999

         winbind enum users = yes
         winbind enum groups = yes
         winbind nested groups = yes
         winbind expand groups = 5
         winbind use default domain = yes
         winbind nss info = rfc2307
         vfs objects = acl_xattr
         map acl inherit = yes
         store dos attributes = yes

[SOME_SHARE]
         path = /home/shares/SOME_SHARE/
         read only = no

Some uses I have for machine accounts:
1) I have v. important windows application that is running as windows
service as "SYSTEM" account. It writes a lot of image-type files.
Because it's running as SYSTEM, machine account has to have "read/write"
to the share.
2)'m using some machine autostart scripts, for various tasks, which work
again as SYSTEM, so if they have to get anything from network share,
they need to have read/write permission. What I'm doing is, for example,
as autostart run a batch script, that would check
\\fileserver\public\test-file.txt if %COMPTURNAME% exists in this file.
if not - run some robocopy script, then >> %COMPUTERNAME% to the end of
the file.
or even something simple like this:
"if exist \\server\share\%computername%.txt (exit)
else robocopy some-files
echo . > \\server\share\%computername%.txt
exit"
3) Some windows applications that I use also run as SYSTEM account and
they have built-in backup utilities, and if I want to backup straight to
network share - again - machine account needs direct write access to share.

I do know that machine accounts are "normal" accounts, and I tried
simply adding them to windows ACL, but it just tidn't work. I had to go
with "idmap = rid", and it did just fine, so the issue must be iwth
idmap backend - ad not supplying valid uid for winbind, right?