[Samba] Samba AD and Windows Deployment Services

Philippe Clérié pclerie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 14:40:09 UTC 2017

Hello,

I've been trying to install the WDS role on a Windows 2012R2 server that is
a member of a Samba AD (Ubuntu Xenial 4.3.x). WDS refuses to run, throwing
two errors related to WDSIMGSVR.

1) Event 266: An error occurred while refreshing settings. Error
information 0x3A.
2) Event 258: An error occured while trying to initialize the Windows
Deployment Service image server. Error information: 0x3A.

I believe 258 is a consequence of 266.

While trying to debug and researching, I found a MS page that mentions a
"Remote Install" tab on the Properties dialog for the servers account in
AD. However, when I checked said account, there was no "Remote install" tab.

So, question: Is that a confirmed incompatibility between 2012R2 and Samba
AD? ( Shot in the dark: functionality levels differences?).

Or is this a just a local problem I need to troubleshoot?

At the moment, WDS is running as a standalone server. I am about to start
testing installs. I'd really like to use prestaged computers in AD so I am
hoping to get this issue resolved before testing is concluded.

Thanks in advance.
Philippe

--
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>