[Samba] File server questions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 14 13:20:24 UTC 2017

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 09:32:21 -0300
Flávio Silveira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just to confirm, I don't think there is a way to test if ntp is setup
> properly, right?
>
> Moving forward to Winbindd config as describe here:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configuring_Winbindd_on_a_Samba_AD_DC
>
> It seems I just need to edit nsswitch.conf and add winbind to passwd
> and group databases, correct?

Provided you are using packages and have installed the required
packages, you only need to alter /etc/nsswitch.conf, so the next
question is, what packages have you installed ?

> I don't think I want to have every user home on my servers, my plan
> is to force them to use the shares, which is the last step in the
> guide, hopefully I won't bother soon :-)

Then don't create a share for the users home directories, or set
'template homedir' in smb.conf, or add unixHomeDirectory attributes to
AD.

Rowland