[Samba] Help win10 join

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 12:37:00 UTC 2017

If you have set an "classic" NT4 style domain, you may need to set the
signorseal registry key

My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\requiresignorseal=0

(same as Windows 7.)

I would also check samba parameters to make sure that NTLM v2 is enabled
for authentication.  I don't know if Windows 10 supports NTLM v1.

Also, for Windows 10 you MAY want to disable smb v3.     Windows 7 does
not use SMB v3, but Windows 10 does,  but the SMB3 compatibility between
windows 10 and Samba 4.x is not very good. However, I don't think that
would affect login.

I would also look at upgrading to Ubuntu 16 -   I think Samba 4.3.11 is
EOL which means that at some point a Windows security patch may  break
compatibility with Samba.

Obviously if you already have kerberos and ldap backend used for other
stuff besides samba, switch to samba AD is a significant decision.
While Samba in classic mode can use your OpenLDAP (or whatever) LDAP
server, Samba in AD will expect to use its own LDAP server, and I think
still expects Heimdal KRB server not MIT.        Which means any LDAP
and kerberos stuff used by your linux machines will need to be reconfigured.

My classic PDC (version 4.1.14) is configured with the following settings

         server max protocol = NT1
         server min protocol = NT1
          server signing = default
         ntlm auth = Yes