[Samba] Distro History

Marc Muehlfeld mmuehlfeld at samba.org
Wed Sep 13 17:41:25 UTC 2017

Hi Andre,

Am 13.09.2017 um 16:55 schrieb Andre Luiz Martins da Silva via samba:
> We are starting to use Samba4 as active directory and one of our questions
> is when a release becomes available in a linux distro. Is it possible to
> have this information, like version and release date?

This is a question you must ask the distriburion vendors. :-)

Most distributions use MIT Kerberos, while Samba earlier than 4.7 only
supported Heimdal Kerberos.

Samba 4.7 will support the MIT KDC, and during the time, distribution
vendors will start providing Samba packages with AD DC capabilities.

Fedora 27 [1] will be shipped with a "samba-dc" package that provides
Samba AD DC support based on Samba 4.7 and MIT Kerberos.

Regards,
Marc

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Samba_AD