[Samba] Samba Share slow on OpenVPN

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Wed Sep 13 09:37:28 UTC 2017

Almost certainly your OpenVPN connection is the problem - Samba will
serve files as fast as the link permits and is comparable to say ftp.

You could fiddle with OpenVPN first or you could do some real link
speed testing and then use that to inform your tuning.  That of course
assumes that your Samba implementation is optimal.  I assume that there
is no performance problem on site.

I would use something like iperf3 - https://iperf.fr/ to evaluate the
effects of changes made.  Make one change at a time and test.  Keep a
log of tests performed and changes made.  If you can, your first set of
tests should be across the internet link without OpenVPN to establish a
baseline.

Samba uses TCP for file sharing so make sure you test that.  Try to
control what else is running at the same time over the links.

There is no easy answer to your question and the only "fix" is by using
careful testing and a methodical approach.  Quite often you will get
answers this way far quicker than simply messing about blindly.

Cheers
Jon