[Samba] SMB data transfer performance on AD mode

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 12 18:50:56 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 19:30:42 +0100
Miguel Medalha via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Your problem probably comes from using the AD DC as a file server.
> The file server should be separated, as recommended by the Samba
> team. I get close to wire speed on dedicated member servers.
>
> With version 4.4.2, changes in behaviour for the "server signing" and
> "client signing" parameters were introduced to address the Badlock
> bug. Those changes can impact file transfer speed. Please read the
> following, specifically the paragraphs relating to CVE-2016-2114 and
> CVE-2016-2115.
>
> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.4.2.html

You can use a DC as a fileserver, but I think the OP has just gone over
the top with the number of shares. It also doesn't help that some of
the shares are setup like the old Samba3 way, this doesn't work.

I also cannot understand compiling an old version of Samba (unless it
was some time ago), why not use the most upto-date version, or better
still, wait until 4.7.0 comes out and then use MIT for the kerberos.

Rowland