[Samba] File server questions

Flávio Silveira fggs at terra.com.br
Tue Sep 12 17:41:42 UTC 2017

Em 12/09/2017 11:03, Rowland Penny via samba escreveu:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 10:40:50 -0300
> Flávio Silveira via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the replies Rowland and Louis!
>>
>> Giving all that was said here is a snippet of what I have in
>> /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.enp2s0.leases
>>
>> Don't know why my interface is named enp2s0, but I only have one,
>> this might be a driver thing.
> No, it is a systemd thing.
>
>> lease {
>>     interface "enp2s0";
>>     fixed-address 192.168.11.6;
>>     option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
>>     option routers 192.168.11.1;
>>     option dhcp-lease-time 86400;
>>     option dhcp-message-type 5;
>>     option domain-name-servers 192.168.11.1;
>>     option dhcp-server-identifier 192.168.11.1;
>>     option domain-name "local";
>>     renew 2 2017/09/12 15:28:36;
>>     rebind 3 2017/09/13 01:09:09;
>>     expire 3 2017/09/13 04:09:09;
>> }
>>
>> This is the server that will be the AD DC, it currently is in client
>> subnet (192.168.11.x) for testing, but I will put it in server subnet
>> (192.168.13.x) when in production.
>>
>> I can't change these settings now as it will break the whole network,
>> can I use the "method 3" from the link for now and manually edit
>> /etc/resolv.conf and then when it is ready for production I drop that
>> script and configure it properly into the DHCP Server?
> Not sure, I run a DHCP server on my DC, but not in the way you are
> proposing, see the Samba wiki for more info.

I actually have a router behind the AD DC, so when it is ready for
production I will change domain-name-servers and domain-name on that
router so it will pass that information directly from DHCP.

>> Speaking of AD DC tutorial, I've read it over and over and
>> especifically the provisioning part, does this sound correct?
>>
>> samba-tool domain provision --server-role=dc --use-rfc2307
>> --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL --realm=AD.TECNOPON.COM.BR --domain=AD
>> --adminpass=mypass --option="interfaces=lo enp2s0" --option="bind
>> interfaces only=yes" --option="dns forwarder=192.168.11.1"
> Yes, but the --server-role and --dns-backend are defaults and as such
> are not really required.
>
>> If I understand correctly, domain is what will be NetBIOS Name,
>> right?
> Wrong, the domain name, also known as the workgroup, is really the
> NetBIOS domain name. This should not be confused with the NetBIOS name,
> which is the hosts short name in UPPERCASE.
> If you are confused, don't blame me or Samba, blame Microsoft, they
> came up with the names.

Ok, I understand now, one question though: if realm is
AD.TECNOPON.COM.BR, does domain need to be AD? If I understand
correctly, realm is "full domain with subdomain" and domain is the
subdomain, yes?

>> What about Hostname? How do I set it in non-interactive mode?
> You don't, Samba will set it for you from your shorthostname.

I see, nothing to bother then.

>> Where DC1 came from? Can I use that as NetBIOS Name?
> Yes, provided the output from 'hostname -s' is 'dc1' ;-)

A-ha! I get it now, I will change the hostname accordingly then, thank you!