[Samba] SMB data transfer performance on AD mode

Dante Colo dante.colo at stwbrasil.com
Tue Sep 12 16:47:32 UTC 2017

Hello Jeremy

Thanks for reply , i'm using samba 4.5.10 compiled from source on CentOS 6 and 7 running as AD mode on all servers, network infrastructure components are all Gigabit ethernet 1000 BaseT, clients are all windows 7 and 10 machines, i'll post below Samba build options and smb.conf of one of my servers. I use full_audit module on many shares, but i don't see any difference in transfer performance on shares that don't have this module enabled. I also used Sernet binary packages before but after upgrade to newer versions compiled from source i didn't see any performance loss or gain in terms of data transfer. Any recomendations ?

./configure --jobs=4 -vp --fatal-errors --slow --enable-debug --enable-selftest  --with-logdir=/var/log/samba --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib/samba  --oldincludedir=/usr/local/samba/old_include --man    dir=/usr/share/man  --with-statedir=/var/lib/samba --with-privatedir=/var/lib/samba/private --with-piddir=/var/run/samba --with-cachedir=/var/cache/samba --with-lockdir=/var/lib/samba/locks --with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba --with-sockets-dir=/var/run/samba --with-configdir=/etc/samba

[global]
        bind interfaces only = yes
        interfaces = lo em1
	workgroup = SOTOPIETRA
	realm = SOTOPIETRA.LOCAL
	netbios name = S11
        server string = SOTOPIETRA-PDC
	dns forwarder = 192.168.0.2
        time server = yes
	ntp signd socket directory = /var/lib/samba/ntp_signd
	server services = s3fs, rpc, nbt, wrepl, ldap, cldap, kdc, drepl, winbindd, ntp_signd, kcc, dnsupdate, dns
        max log size = 4096
        debug class = yes
        debug prefix timestamp = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%I
       log level = 1
        printing = bsd
        load printers = no
        printcap name = /dev/null
	disable spoolss = yes
	smb2 leases = no

[netlogon]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/sotopietra.local/scripts
	read only = yes
        browsable = no
[sysvol]
	path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
	read only = No
        browsable = yes
[profiles]
        path = /samba/profiles
        writable = yes
        browsable = yes
[Homedirs]
        path = /samba/homedirs
        writable = yes
        browsable = yes
[RH]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/rh
[Gerencia]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/gerencia
[Financeiro]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/financeiro
[Administrativo-Thais]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/administrativo_thais
[Virtua]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/virtua
[Base Virtua]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        write list = leonardo.soares
        read list = administrator
        path = /Virtua
[Juridico-Evandro]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/juridico_evandro
[Diretoria-Sotopietra]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/diret_sotopietra
[Iniciais]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/iniciais
[TI]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/ti
[Scanner]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/scanner
[Desktop]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files/desktop
[IntraChat]
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/intrachat
[SRC_COBRANCA_WEB]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
        full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
        full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
        full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
        full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writeable = yes
	browseable = yes
	path = /var/httpd/htdocs/src_cobranca_web
[SFTP]
	vfs objects = full_audit
        full_audit:prefix = "%u|%I|%P"
	full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:failure = rmdir unlink rename
	full_audit:facility = LOCAL0
	full_audit:priority = NOTICE
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /data/soto/sftp
[Arquivos]
	writable = yes
	browsable = yes
        path = /samba/files
        valid users = administrator,leonardo.soares