[Samba] File server questions

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Tue Sep 12 07:32:46 UTC 2017

When i look at that link, https://www.vultr.com/docs/stop-dhcp-from-changing-resolve-conf
Then only option 1 is the "real" correct one. Imho.
Option 2, and options 3 are masking a configuration errors.

If you want to use dhcp with servers, sure possible, no problem at all, but not recommended.
Now have a look at : /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf

That shows, something like this ( the default on debian )

option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned integer 8;

send host-name = gethostname();
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
        dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search, dhcp6.fqdn, dhcp6.sntp-servers,
        netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
        rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers;

DHCP Server requests. : ( involving your points. )
 domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search
( ntp-servers and time-offset are also very important )

As long as the dhcp server sends the correct info here, you resolv.conf is always correct.
The search setting should be : ad.tecnopon.com.br
You need the domain-name so you have the correct zone for name server changes. (ad.tecnopon.com.br)
You need the domain-search so you can resolv hostname -s and hostname -f within the same domain. (ad.tecnopon.com.br)

If you also use resolvconf then add the needed options, for example if you have a proxy server with bind,
Then resolvconf is the best options, because you can add named_options and named_zones,
Which can be handy for the external zones. ( you can add a forward zone in bind for the internet zone.)
Should not be needed but also here, can be handy, this all depending on you setup.

But key here is, if you rebooted you server and your resolv.conf settings are wrong, then you have a setting in dhcp thats incorrect.
( or if resolvconf is installed, review /etc/network/interfaces ( missing dns-
Since you have ips assigned by mac, review that config.
Look in this file : cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases
( if you interface is eth0, change to your interface name. )

And i agree with Rowland's suggestion to create pools, that makes is much better to handle these settings.
So i suggest, review you dhcp server settings and dhcp client settings.
That is, imo, the correct way to set this up. ( If you must use the dhcp server for the members. )
This wil also hold for the long run.

Greetz,

Louis