[Samba] File server questions

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 11 15:14:24 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:40:50 -0300
Flávio Silveira <fggs at terra.com.br> wrote:

> My company domain is tecnopon.com.br but it is not hosted by me, it
> is hosted by a hosting company.
>
> After reading Active Directory Naming FAQ, if I understand what I
> have read, I can use ad.tecnopon.com.br and I won't need to change
> any DNS zone files as it will only be used internally. Am I correct?

Well, yes and no ;-)

When you provision your AD domain, you will get DNS records for
'ad.tecnopon.com.br' created in AD, you should get your domain members
to use the AD DC as their nameserver and set the DC to forward anything
else to your existing domains nameserver.

To put it it another way, create your AD domain as a subdomain of
'tecnopon.com.br', use the DC as the nameserver for the subdomain and
your domain for every thing else.

HTH

Rowland