[Samba] Setting up Samba AD-DC on Debian Stretch made easy.

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 11 12:49:05 UTC 2017

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:16:02 +0200
L.P.H. van Belle <belle at bazuin.nl> wrote:

> Thanx! Fixed. And I think you will even find more.
> ;-)

You are correct ;-)

I found this in 'stretch-base-2-samba-minimal-ad.txt'

# In above you see the line :
# A Kerberos configuration suitable for Samba 4 has been generated at /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf
# ignore it, we use the /etc/krb5.conf, and as of samba 4.7.x this is the default.
# Note!!  Do not symlink /var/lib/samba/private/krb5.conf to /etc/krb5.conf.
# This wil give problems in the future.

This is correct, but it is also wrong ;-)
It is correct in that you shouldn't symlink the Samba krb5.conf.
It is wrong in stating that using the OS /etc/krb5.conf will be the
default in 4.7

What is happening is that the permissions are being tightened on the
private dir and if you use a symlink, it will not work.

Also a new dir will be created on provisioning using Bind9 (or
upgrading from the internal DNS) 'binddns'

Rowland