[Samba] ad pdc windows network places not showing up

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 11 08:12:45 UTC 2017

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 21:29:53 -0400
Joe Ditto via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I have a working samba pdc setup called \\dc1 users can login etc.
> When opening network places the only machine that shows up is the
> windows 7 machine.  I want the DC1 to show up but it does not.

Sorry but you will never see your DC (NOTE: it is not a PDC) in network
browsing.

> I am running samba 4.7

No your not, it hasn't been released yet

> dhcp is handled by a pfsense router
> here's the smb.conf

Next time, can you use 'samba-tool testparm' ;-)

Can I suggest you remove all these lines:

domain master = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
min receivefile size = 16384
name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins
server signing = No
dns proxy = No
aio read size = 16384
aio write size = 16384
allocation roundup size = 4096
strict allocate = Yes

You might need them on a PDC, but as you don't have a PDC, you don't
need them.

You should also remove these two lines from [Users]:

csc policy = disable
directory mode: parameter = 0700

They do not work on a DC, see here:

Rowland