[Samba] Antwort: Re: Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba share

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Fri Sep 8 09:01:18 UTC 2017

Hi Nils,

> one more information.
> This behaviour also happens on a WIndows 2012 R2 Server System.

if this behavior happens also on win2012r2, then the problem may be
linked to the SMB version of the protocol.

Win7 support SMB version up to SMBv2.x, as does win2k8r2. On the other
hand, Win10, Samba4 and Win2k12 supports SMB up to SMBv3.x. And protocol
version is negotiated during connection to the max supported version.

You can check the version of the protocol used by the workstation with
the "smbstatus" command. Could you try adding the following parameter to
smb.conf and restart samba to see if it improves stuff

server max protocol = SMB2

By the way, IMHO running software from remote shares is a good way to
look for problems. I would advise you to use deployment software to
install your java program directly on workstation. You can take a look
at www.wapt.fr, it is very easy to set up an internal repo and repackage
business software (disclaimer: I work part time on that project). Note :
there is a WIP German translation in WAPT, but you'd better use the
English one for now :-)

Cheers,

Denis

> Nils

> Nils Wieseloh
> Rechenzentrum Verden GmbH
> Heinrich-Schröder-Weg 1, 27283 Verden (Germany)
> Tel.  +49 (0)4231-955 349;  Fax. +49 (0)4231- 955 333
> www.vit.de
> Amtsgericht Walsrode HRB Nr. 120138
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Reinhard Reents
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Anton Fortwengel
>

> Von:    Brian Cowan via samba <samba at lists.samba.org>
> An:     "samba at lists.samba.org" <samba at lists.samba.org>,
> Datum:  27.07.2017 17:14
> Betreff:        Re: [Samba] Windows 10 and Java Applications on a samba
> share
> Gesendet von:   "samba" <samba-bounces at lists.samba.org>
>

> A few questions:
> What Java version? There may be classloader behavior interactions.
> Is this limited to Windows 10, or can you see it in 8/8.1?
> How is the Java application packaged? Is it everything-in-a-single-JAR
> (which incidentally makes java 8 bog down) or are there multiple JARs?
> Is there any pattern to which functions do, and do not work?
> How does loading off a remote pure-Windows share work?
>
> Brian

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A