[Samba] Server GC/name.dom/dom is not registered with our KDC: Miscellaneous failure (see text): Server (GC/name/dom at DOM) unknown

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Sep 8 08:37:56 UTC 2017

Hai Sven,

Sorry for the long wait, i had some things todo first here.

Ok base on the log,
graz-dc-sem.ad.tao.at is the most complete/correct server.

> > https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-check-db-repl.sh
>
> Just FYI, something's wonky with the script. Bash trips up on
> CRLF line endings (everywhere) and 0xC2 control characters
> (ll. 260-261) sprinkled through the file. Had to clean that
> up before it actually ran without syntax errors.
Yes, sorry, i should have send this link.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thctlo/samba4/master/samba-check-db-repl.sh

> >> domain. ( check
> >>
> >> What to check for? What to clean up?
> > Ah, thats hard to tell, this depends a bit on the errors.
> > I search/look for the left overs, first with RSAT tools and
> samba-tool, then with ApacheStudio.
> > I look for hostnames/UUID/ things like that, but this is
> only done if all other options did not work.
> > But it depends on the errors/warnings i see/get.
>
> None of the differences look like they could cause the
> replication errors, looks more like they're just the results.
Faulty GUID/UUID's can and wil result in replication errors yes..

> new DC from
> >> resolve to the correct server.
> >> sufficient.
> >>
> >> Just to confirm the order: Clean up the keytab, if that
> doesn't work,
> >> start removing servers?
> > Almost. Backup then ...   Cleanup keytab of the server.
>
> I'll try that next, unless you find something shady in the report.

> >> always have 2
> >>
> >> Servers in Villach seem to run fine, thank $DEITY, so I'll
> leave them
> >> alone for now.
> > Ok, thats good, run the check-db script and post the
> complete output for me.

> DC's again.

> last time I

> >> subject for me again> I'll have a look.
> >>
> >> First message on that topic:
> >> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-March/207429.html
> > Ok, this one, track down both uuid's, checkout which which
> hostname belongs with these.
>
> Going by the output of `samba-tool drs showrepl` and sam.ldb,
> the GUIDs are as follows:
>
> graz-dc-sem	160f5a53-5c29-4a83-aeee-6cb1dbabeed7
> graz-dc-bis	7e4973ba-4093-4523-a70f-7caa4845e34d (not in sam.ldb)
> graz-dc-1b	bcffbad8-1add-46b9-bf69-90e52c0f09ea
> villach-dc-sem	eb5f9772-cd8f-4cde-9629-f1898c94aedd
> villach-dc-bis	e1569c90-50f9-4bb5-bd85-79145e3ff6fd
>
> villach-sem/bis want to replicate to the dead and removed
> graz-dc-bis for some reason, but don't have its GUID in their
> sam.ldb either.
Ok, can you do a manualy check on graz-dc-sem and villach-dc-sem
Both command on each server.
samba-tool dbcheck
And
samba-tool dbcheck --cross-nc

Error, post them.

> > Basicly https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC
> > In based on the Demoteing wiki example.
> > I do the same steps as shown there. Now the last three
> pictures on the site shows where to look.
> > At the site and Service, go through very folder, and check
> if it is as it should be.
>
> I already checked it back then, and double checked it now.
> ADUC, ADSS and DNS are all three clean and contain no
> reference to either the old server name or its GUID.
>
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-March/207460.html
> > Between 2 and 3, there the problem starts
> setting, corrected it, and restarted the DC.
> > 3. Yes, for the new hostname, the old hostname is as left
> over in the ADDC DB and/or DNS.
> >
> > This name GRAZ-DC-BIS, and the name with the typo. The GUID
> for these is where to look info.
>
> Yeah, but where?
Now this is here ApacheStudio is very handy, but again, dont rush things here.
With ApacheStu.. Connect to the AD, and search for the faulty GUID/UUID's
Same for the hostname.

Ow did i tell you to make a backup first..  ;-) make it 2. ;-)

> > Step 6. ah the point of origin of you problems with of the
> current post?
>
> Hell if I know, but might be.
>
> > 7. dnsmasq? Ok, i just hope these are not running on the DC's.
>
> It's running on the gateways to cache the DCs' responses and
> handle some auxiliary stuff. ad.tao.at and all subdomains are
> transparently forwarded to the DCs, no difference in
Ok, thats fine then.

> >> Last message, where I mentioned the replication bug:
> >> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-April/207918.html

> >> a lot with cleanup of these kind of things.
> >>
> >> Currently I'm using the ADSI MMC snap-in, any downsides
> compared to
> > I dont know, never used ADS :-/
> >
> > Track done these : GUID's, the hostname's, ipnumbers A and
> PTR records
> > 7e4973ba-4093-4523-a70f-7caa4845e34d
> > d613fa11-064b-4bcc-ab01-20264f870f47
> > (how, see Verifying and Creating the objectGUID Record
> >
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Verifying_and_Creating_a_DC_DNS_Recor
> > d)
>
> Neither of the two return any results on any DC (or on the
> dnsmasq servers), but the GUIDs for the 4 currently existing
> DCs work fine. This matches the data from the RSAT tools.

Now, last, which is an option.
If one server hold a good and correct database, you can sync that one to the other servers.
But the database must be correct. ( and backuped 2 x )

samba-tool dbcheck --help gives also few extra options but i never used them so i cant tell much of these are usefull.
  --reindex             force database re-index
  --reset-well-known-acls
  --cross-ncs

Rowland, can you give a educated answer on these also.

Greetz,

Louis