[Samba] smbclient is SLOWWWWWW; getaddrinfo failed

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Thu Sep 7 17:10:11 UTC 2017

> On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:41:13 -0700
> toddandmargo via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> # rpm -qa samba
>> samba-4.6.7-0.fc26.x86_64
>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> # smbclient -L FedoraServer -U workcentre -W xxxxx
>>
>> takes about 18 second to ask for the password.  (Windows is slow too.)
>>
>> Me thinks it has to do with this error
>> from /var/log/samba/samba-log.192.168.255.12
>>
>>         get_mydnsfullname: getaddrinfo failed for name
>> FedoraServer.xxxxx.local [Unknown error]
>>
>> When I put a tail on the above log, this is where it hangs until the
>> password prompt comes up
>>

>> How do I fix this?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

>> # more /etc/hosts
>> 127.0.0.1   server.storall.local localhost localhost.localdomain
>> localhost4 loca lhost4.localdomain4
>> ::1         localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6
>> localhost6.localdomain6
>>

> Hi, are you using dhcp ?
> If you are, change /etc/hosts to this:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> ::1 localhost
>
> If you aren't, then 'server.storall.local' should point to its IP not
> '127.0.0.1'
>
> Rowland

Hi Rowland,

The server also is also DDNS (dynamic domain name server)
server, which means dhcpd talks to bind.  If uses a fixed IP

And "host" does find the IP from host the forward and reverse
tables, with or without the domain name attached.

To get rid of the slows, I need an entry that points to 127.0.0.1
in /etc/hosts for the server's host name.  And, I also
have to spell the server's name correctly in hosts, which
was my screw up.

The entry I showed above did the trick.  This has
been reproduced now on two separate machines at two
separate customer sites.

The second customer site does not serve dhcpd or bind.
It gets a dhcp fixed IP from a Watchguard firewall based
on its MAC address.  The symptom was the same on both
of servers and the cure was the same as well.

Thank you for the help!

-T