[Samba] poor performance when copying files with windows client

Nicolas Zuber n.zuber at physik.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Sep 4 18:25:38 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

in my setup I have two samba file server with clustered samba 4.6.7 and
glusterfs 3.10. The server are connected via a 10 Gb network (one for
clients and an extra network for gluster). When I am copying files from
different server ( centos 7 1611, samba 4.4.4, connected with 10Gb) to
the file servers with scp, the maximum speed is 70 MB/s (for small files
this is decreasing). However if I create a samba share on the
fileservers and a samba share on the other server and use a windows 7
client to copy the same files, the speed is decreased to less than 10
MB/s. While capturing the the network traffic, I noticed several access
denied messages in response to a file request message. But in the end
the file is still written and the permissions (windows acl) are set
correctly. Does anybody know if this is an intended behaviour and how
one could increase the performance when copying files with a windows
client from network shares? If you need more informations please let me
know.

Best regards,

Nicolas