[Samba] Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Arnab Roy arniekol at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 21:34:50 UTC 2017

Hi Rowland,

The only thing I'm using is winbindd the smbd and nmbd daemons are disabled.

However I have now found the bottleneck is because freeradius is calling
the ntlm_auth binary and effectively forking out.

The guys at freeradius wrote a direct client libwbclient however their is
no way of specifying the winbind privileged path using that method as it's
hardcoded during compile time.

Why does samba hardcode this on all client applications is beyond my little
knowledge :(

Many Thanks
Arnab