[Samba] dbcheck - least one mandatory attribute ('fromServer') on entry wasn't specified

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 29 19:20:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-01 at 16:16 +0100, Danny Tipple via samba wrote:
> Ive recently inherited an old samba installation which was originally
> migrated from a windows 2003 server.
>
> It was running samba 4.2.13 so i upgraded to 4.6.4.  All is well and
> everything appears to be working correctly but get the following
> error error when running the db check tool:
>
> Fix replPropertyMetaData on CN=f37883ec-90f7-4ac3-b478-
> 00a266e31f83,CN=NTDS Settings,CN=COMPANY-
> SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=CompanyName,DC=local by sorting the
> attribute list? [YES]
> ERROR: Failed to fix attribute replPropertyMetaData : (65,
> "objectclass_attrs: at least one mandatory attribute ('fromServer')
> on entry 'CN=f37883ec-90f7-4ac3-b478-00a266e31f83,CN=NTDS
> Settings,CN=COMPANY-SERVER,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-
> Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=CompanyServer,DC=local' wasn't
> specified!")
>  File "/usr/local/samba/lib/python2.7/site-
> packages/samba/dbchecker.py", line 365, in do_modify
>    self.samdb.modify(m, controls=controls, validate=validate)
>
> As far as i can tell the record refers to the old win2003 server.
>
> How can i remove/fix this record?

I know I'm very late replying, but I figured this might be helpful to
someone else:

The issue here is that our schema correctness check still runs even
during dbcheck (to try and prevent automated disasters), and hasn't yet
been taught how to determine that the schema constraints can't have
changed (because only replPropertyMetaData was modified).

Clearly the missing fromServer was not detected or enforced on windows
when the domain ran on Windows 2003.

There isn't a simple fix right now, except perhaps to delete the DC
(and so the configuration objects) referred to, and re-build under a
new name.

Sorry,

Andrew Bartlett

--