[Samba] updating TDB user/group entries to RID

Oleg Cherkasov o1e9 at member.fsf.org
Fri Oct 27 13:17:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

I wonder if there are any tools to simplify transition from TDB to RID
on existing system in production.  Long story short, by mistake one of
our servers were configured with default idmap set to a range:

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

The server had joined domain and everything works just fine however I
may need to fix user/group ids and make it like that:

idmap config * : backend = tdb
idmap config * : range = 3000-7999
idmap config MYDOMAIN : backend = rid
idmap config MYDOMAIN : range = 8000-999999999

Existing users and groups are still in TDB so RID does not have any
effect unless uncached user used.

I suspect I may need to do some scripting with tdbtool and
getfacl/setfacl to be able to migrate existing filesystem to new ids.
Using robocopy may be expensive to pull and push files because
filesystem is more than 35Tb+ ...

Anyone had any good experience with that?

Cheers,
Oleg