[Samba] LDB object number limitations

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 25 10:56:22 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-10-25 at 09:58 +0200, Ervin Hegedüs via samba wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> here is a Samba4 AD with LDB.
>
> Is there any limit for number of possible objects? I mean users, computers,
> and other kind of nodes.
>
> On a Samba Wiki page, the doc notes:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/LDB#How_LDB_uses_TDB
>
> "How LDB uses TDB
>
> LDB basically sits on top of TDB and manipulates the data into an LDAP-like
> structure."
>

> And I've found a doc here:
> https://ldapcon.org/2015/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/ivanova-samba_backend.pdf
>
> which notes, that
>
> "Problems of Samba 4 with TDB
>
> * Scalability
> - Supported TDB version is 32 bit, which puts a 4GB limit on the database,
> equals around 300 000 objects depending on their size.
> - Work on the 64 bit is not progressing"
>
> May be an ugly question, but is that means the Samba4 supports "only" about
> 300k objects per db?

G'Day,

There has been and will continue to be work to make Samba scale much
further, both though incremental efforts (such as the recently
completed GUID index work), bug fixes (the locking fixes in 4.7 also
fixed a major bottleneck) and more radical steps.

As an example, with the git master current code I recently showed
adding 100,000 user objects to Samba, and adding those to either 1, 2,
3 or 4 groups in 2 hours.  The bulk of that time was in the group
handling, interestingly the user insertion is no longer the dominant
factor.

Can you please give me some more details about what you propose to use
Samba for, so I can understand your concerns further?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett