[Samba] Samba 4.6.8 (Non packaged version) dns update issue

Ian Coetzee samba at iancoetzee.za.net
Tue Oct 24 10:05:14 UTC 2017

Hi Guys,

I am running into an issue here.

We have 2 domain controllers using BIND_DLZ as dns backend

OS: CentOS 6.9
Samba version: Samba 4.6.8 self compiled on another host and
distributed internally as RPM packages
Bind version: BIND 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.4

Almost daily I need to restart the named process (service named
restart) to make dynamic dns updates from the member servers (mix of
linux and windows) and desktops (windows) working.

Note that I have changed some of the hostnames for security sake
(paranoia strikes again)

Before the restart I get:
[root at archive1 ~]# net ads dns register -Uianc
Enter ianc's password:
DNS Update for archive1.[DOM_FQDN] failed: ERROR_DNS_UPDATE_FAILED
DNS update failed!
[root at archive1 ~]# net ads info
LDAP server: 10.10.10.4
LDAP server name: dc2.[DOM_FQDN]
Realm: [DOM_FQDN]
Bind Path: []
LDAP port: 389
Server time: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 08:14:49 UTC
KDC server: 10.10.10.4
Server time offset: 0
Last machine account password change: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:24:11 UTC
[root at archive1 ~]# net -V
Version 4.6.2
[root at archive1 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.4.1708 (Core)

I then restart bind on the relevant DC
10:14:59 [ianc at dc2 ~]$ sudo service named restart
[sudo] password for ianc:
Stopping named: .                                          [  OK  ]
Starting named:                                            [  OK  ]

After the restart
[root at archive1 ~]# net ads dns register -Uianc
Enter ianc's password:
Successfully registered hostname with DNS

Has anybody else experienced an issue like this?

I haven't found anything in the logs pointing me where to look.

I am trying the samba list first. I will cross post to bind list if we
are out of ideas here.

Kind regards