[Samba] DNS database question

Giuseppe Arvati giuseppe.arvati at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:01:16 UTC 2017

Hello,

I was checking my configuration regarding DNS
while I was reading
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#New_DNS_Entries_Are_Not_Resolvable

and I found that private/sam.ldb.d/ and private/dns/sam.ldb.d/
are different

# ls -lai /usr/local/samba/private/sam.ldb.d/
2760569 -rw-------. 1 root root  16400384 Oct 24 08:28
CN%3DCONFIGURATION,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760570 -rw-------. 1 root root  10391552 Oct 24 08:28
CN%3DSCHEMA,CN%3DCONFIGURATION,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760568 -rw-------. 1 root root   6647808 Oct 24 08:28
DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760571 -rw-rw----. 2 root named  4251648 Oct 24 08:28
DC%3DDOMAINDNSZONES,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760572 -rw-rw----. 2 root named  4251648 Oct 24 08:28
DC%3DFORESTDNSZONES,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760567 -rw-rw----. 2 root named   421888 Oct 24 08:28 metadata.tdb
# ls -lai /usr/local/samba/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/
2763729 -rw-rw----  1 root named 8384512 Feb  6  2017
CN%3DCONFIGURATION,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2763732 -rw-rw----  1 root named 9236480 Feb  6  2017
CN%3DSCHEMA,CN%3DCONFIGURATION,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2763665 -rw-rw----  1 root named 1286144 Feb  6  2017
DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760571 -rw-rw----. 2 root named 4251648 Oct 24 08:28
DC%3DDOMAINDNSZONES,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760572 -rw-rw----. 2 root named 4251648 Oct 24 08:28
DC%3DFORESTDNSZONES,DC%3DAPAM-AD,DC%3DAPAM,DC%3DIT.ldb
2760567 -rw-rw----. 2 root named  421888 Oct 24 08:28 metadata.tdb

I noticed:
1) file file starting with CN are different in the 2 folder
2) file file starting with CN in private/sam.ldb.d/ are owned by
root:root in private/dns/sam.ldb.d/ are owned by root:named

I was starting to check dns configuration because I had a NOAUTH problem
when samba tried to update dlz on bind.
I solved with a "service named restart" and now the dns entry are
up to date but these files aren't compliant to the documentation
so is this a problem ?
If yes what kind of problem can I have ?

CentOS Linux 2.6.32-642.13.1.el6.x86_64
Samba version 4.5.6
bind version  32:9.8.2-0.62.rc1.el6_9.4

Thank you