[Samba] Tip and Workaround: UPS World Ship refuses to help with XP

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Sun Oct 22 20:36:01 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I replaced a Linux file server at a company last month.
Both server had to be active at the same time to transition,
so the new server got a new name.

The customer client computers are all XP still.  The machine
with the client UPS World Ship stopped working as it
kept looking for the old server.  I replaced every instance
of the old server's name with the new server in the registry.
That did not work.  Checked all the INI files and there was no
server path in any of them (superfinder XT).

I called UPS' tech support and they refused to help until
we upgraded.  They said to use the web edition until
then.  I added "and FedEx too".  That startled them.
They deserved that.

Then it occurred to me, now that the old server has been
retired, I could take advantage of Samba's

    netbios aliases

feature.  I aliases the new server with the old
server's name.  Windows Explorer now shows two servers
in network.

And, problem solved.  Chuckle.

The customer should upgrade anyway, as M$ is playing such
hardball that who knows what else will stop working in the
future.

-T