[Samba] Share mounts in SMBv1 mode, but fails weirdly in SMBv2 mode

Hadrien Grasland grasland at lal.in2p3.fr
Thu Oct 19 08:48:57 UTC 2017

So, as a follow-up on this, I also took this matter to the linux-cifs
mailing list. After a bit of analysis, it turns out that...

 1. The Linux CIFS client was sending ill-formed QUERY_INFO packets to
    the server. There is a patch for this in the pipeline.
 2. There is also a bug in the server, which refuses to send all info
    about the root filesystem inode, in spite of knowing this info in
    principle. Considering that the bug is known and fixed upstream, and
    the problem is on our side (we cannot apply the server update for
    some unclear reason), it was decided not to work around it.

Thanks for your help in this investigation!
Hadrien Grasland