[Samba] ntlm_auth and SMBv2/v3

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 17 14:52:42 UTC 2017

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 14:52:51 +0200
Lulzim KELMENI via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> Do you plan to release the patch for "ntlm auth =
> mschapv2-only" option soon ?
> We need this on order to use freeradius in
> a "more safe" scenario than with "ntlm auth = yes"

He cannot release it, mainly because it has been released ;-)

If you go here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.7_Features_added/changed#Parameter_changes

You will find this:

The 'ntlm auth' option default is renamed to 'ntlmv2-only', reflecting
the previous behaviour. Two new values have been provided,
'mschapv2-and-ntlmv2-only' (allowing MSCHAPv2 while denying NTLMv1) and
'disabled', totally disabling NTLM authentication and password changes.

So, it looks like you need to upgrade to Samba 4.7.0

Rowland