[Samba] possible to use ldbedit in a safe way

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 17 09:30:23 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 10:46 +0200, mj via samba wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> >      You should be able to safely remove those dangling forward links with
> >
> > #samba-tool domain tombstones expunge
>
> Tried that, but after doing a full scan on
> - CN=Configuration
> - DC=samba
> - DC=DomainDnsZones
> - DC=ForstDnsZOnes
>
> it says:
>
> Removed 0 objects and 0 links successfully.
>
> And the two dangling links remain.

Indeed, currently this tool does not consider if the link points to a
deleted object, that is left to dbcheck, which we hope folks will run
at least every tombstone lifetime.

I could make it check the target of every link, but that is a
significant cost in an already expensive routine.

what it will catch is deleted objects and links that are at their
tombstone lifetime, and clear those out.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett