[Samba] samba 4.7.0 replication errors

Andrej Gessel Andrej.Gessel at janztec.com
Mon Oct 16 13:07:47 UTC 2017

Hello list,

maybe I saw the same error with backlinks. I try to use Samba 4.7.0 as rodc and perform join with "domain-critical-only"-option. Smb.conf is generated by samba. After starting joined samba I got error like this:

Failed to apply records: ../source4/dsdb/samdb/ldb_modules/repl_meta_data.c:4218: Failed to remove backlink of memberOf when deleting CN=USER\0ADEL:a1f2a2cc-1179-4734-b753-c121ed02a34c,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern: dsdb_module_search_dn: did not find base dn CN=USERSGROUP\0ADEL:030d0be1-3ada-4b93-8371-927f20923116,CN=Deleted Objects,DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern (0 results): Operations error
Failed to commit objects: WERR_GEN_FAILURE/NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

USER is member of the USERSGROUP. If I run ldbsearch and try to find USERGROUP it will be displayed. Replicating single-object with full-sync do not solved this issue. Only removing the USERGROUP object with ldbdel and rerun replication with --local --full-sync --single-object solved this.

If I run samba-tool drs replication --local ... I load about 40000 objects (~50% of AD), but only 15000 are in the ldb(DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern). Then I see the error above and replication starts again, so I run into endless replication loop.

Some other notes:

If I run dbcheck with --cross-ncs and --fix I got some other errors like this:

ERROR: missing backlink attribute 'memberOf' in CN=PROJ,OU=PROJACCESS,DC=GROUPS,DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern for link member in CN=PROJ,OU=otherou,DC=GROUPS,DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern
Fix missing backlink memberOf [YES]
Failed to fix missing backlink memberOf : (20, "attribute 'memberOf': value #17 on 'CN=PROJ,OU=PROJACCESS,DC=GROUPS,DC=DOMAIN,DC=intern' already exists")

I didn’t see it for USER object, but a lot of other objects.

Andrej