[Samba] Problem with AD DC

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 15 10:49:21 UTC 2017

On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:00:07 +0300
Ronald Vyhmeister via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> I’ve just set up an AD DC on Ubuntu 16.04, using the instructions
> found at
> https://jimshaver.net/2016/05/30/setting-up-an-active-directory-domain-controller-using-samba-4-on-ubuntu-16-04/.
> All the tests work fine. I’m able to connect from my Windows 10 box
> when I connect to \\servername <file://servername> (and authenticate
> as administrator).

That howto is fine as far as it goes, but it is littered with errors,
for instance:

sudo apt-get install attr build-essential libacl1-dev libattr1-dev \
   libblkid-dev libgnutls-dev libreadline-dev python-dev libpam0g-dev \
   python-dnspython gdb pkg-config libpopt-dev libldap2-dev \
   dnsutils libbsd-dev attr krb5-user docbook-xsl libcups2-dev acl ntp
   ntpdate winbind

You only need most of the above if you are going to compile Samba
yourself.

You also do not need to alter /etc/fstab if you are using ext4.

> However, when I try to join the machine to the domain, I get this
> error: “The username or password is incorrect.”

What do you mean 'join the machine to the domain', you have a DC, it
will have been self-joined during the provision ?

> Obviously the username (administrator) and the password are valid, as
> I can browse the server… Any ideas?

Yes, ignore random howto's found on the internet, read the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

I will give you hint, this is so wrong:

/etc/hosts

127.0.1.1     dc1.shaver.net    dc1

it should be, based on the info in the howto:

192.168.0.200     dc1.shaver.net    dc1

Also, you should comment out the line 'dns-dnsmasq' in
'/etc/NetworkManager/ NetworkManager.cof'

Rowland