[Samba] Do Unix extensions still work with SMB3?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Sat Oct 14 09:08:48 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Quick question - does Samba server still support Unix extensions when
connecting over SMB3?

My Linux client recently got upgraded to a CIFS module version that uses
SMB3 by default, and since then I lost the ability to create symlinks
on my CIFS shares.  Running "mount" shows the share mounted with the
"nounix" option.  If I follow the advice in dmesg and add the mount
option "vers=1.0" to return to SMB1, then Unix extensions are enabled
and symlinks work fine.

The server is a Seagate NAS appliance running Samba 4.6.2, with "unix
extensions = yes" in the [global] section of smb.conf.

Do I need to change the way Unix extensions are activated for SMB3?

Many thanks,
Adam.