[Samba] Samba AD Best Practice (DNS)

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 18:26:13 UTC 2017

Here's what we do for our school district:

- Each site is in its own isolated network
- Each site has two DCs and a file server
- The DHCP server hands out the DCs of the site as both DNS servers (i.e.
dc1 = 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3)
- The DNS server runs from the Samba DCs (using bind9 or the Internal DNS,
does not matter)
- If we want something else to resolve, we add an A record (i.e.
mail.ad.district.com IN A 192.168.0.5) or a CNAME record (i.e.
mail.ad.district.com IN CNAME mail.district.com)

The clients need to point their DNS servers to the AD DCs for everything to
work "correctly", especially with name resolution. You need the DC servers
to point their DNS forwarders to either your network DNS Servers, or your
ISP / other DNS servers.