[Samba] Using GPO to mount shares on Linux

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 11 09:38:45 UTC 2017

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 11:00:59 +0200
Michael Wandel <m.wandel at t-online.de> wrote:

> On 11.10.2017 10:37, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:13:35 +0200
> > "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If you mean, Linux <=> Linux , use automounting, of dedicated
> >> mounts. Cifs/nfs, depending on you setup and what you need.
> >>

> > The problem is, they don't seem to work any more. They all seem to
> > rely on mount.cifs and you need to be root to run this. When the
> > user logs in, the mounting program runs using the users creds and
> > fails.
> >
> Hi,
>
> it can be solved by pam_mount or you can use mount.cifs with the
> multiuser option.
>
> https://www.snia.org/sites/default/orig/SDC2012/presentations/Revisions/JeffLayton_Multiuser%20Mounts%20with%20Linux%20CIFS_revision.pdf
>
> best regards
> Michael
>

> > Rowland

I have tried to get autofs to work with nfs and cifs as user mounts, I
cannot get these to work and believe me, I really tried ;-)

I cannot get pam_mount to work either, it just tells me there are no
volumes to mount. If I run the mount manually it doesn't work, I run it
again with sudo, it works. I cannot find a way to get pam_mount to use
sudo.

In my opinion 'multiuser' is a possibilty, but again I cannot get it
to work.

I am now considering pam_script, so watch this space ;-)

Rowland