[Samba] Opensolaris-ish joins but does not seem to be valid

Andrew Martin amartin at xes-inc.com
Tue Oct 10 20:19:06 UTC 2017

----- Original Message -----

It has been awhile, but the last time I looked into IDMU mode I thought
Samba didn't support it. I thought Windows AD required a separate
installer to be run to add IDMU mode and then some extra fields in AD
needed to be created and proactively synced on a regular basis (e.g.
syncing from the normal userPassword field to unixUserPassword). Are
there any guides or information on how to setup IDMU mode on a Samba DC?

At least on Solaris, it sounds like IDMU is not 100% identical to RFC2307:
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E22471_01/html/820-4167/configuration__services__identity_mapping.html
> IDMU adds a "UNIX Attributes" panel to the Active Directory Users and
> Computers user interface that lets the administrator specify a number
> of UNIX-related parameters: UID, GID, login shell, home directory, and
> similar for groups. These parameters are made available through AD
> through a schema similar to (but not the same as) RFC2307, and through
> the NIS service.

Thanks,

Andrew