[Samba] Domain member server: user access

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Oct 10 13:54:45 UTC 2017

Am 2017-10-10 um 09:57 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 09:19:11 +0200
> "Stefan G. Weichinger via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>>
>> The admin there created a group via RSAT.
>> And that group was not visible/usable on the DM server.
>
> It wouldn't be if the group was created as just a windows group.

How to create the group as unix group via RSAT?
By adding the gidNumber, right?

As asked before: do I have to keep track of the next free gidNumber
myself? I assume there is some cool grep to read the highest used xid
from LDAP or so ... ?

>> Until here there was no decision for a uidNumber or gidNumber.
>> He did not set one via RSAT. Does he have to do that?
>
> On a DC, group will be given an xidNumber and if the libnss_winbind
> links are set up, this will be used, but only on that DC
>
> On a Unix domain member, it is different, the xidNumber will not be
> used, because it isn't available.
> You have two main options, use the winbind 'rid' backend, with this,
> provided you use the same smb.conf on all Unix domain members, you will
> get the required UIDs & GIDs without adding anything to AD.
> There is a 'gotcha' though, you will have to use the template lines in
> smb.conf for user shell & home dirs. Your users and groups would also
> have different IDs on the DC.
> If you want to have the same IDs everywhere, you will have to use the
> winbind 'ad' backend and give your users & groups uidNumber and
> gidNumber attributes, you will also be able to use the other RFC2307
> attributes.
>
> Whichever winbind backend you use on the Unix domain members, you will
> also have to set up the libnss_winbind links.

OK, I think I understand.

We use backend "ad" on the DM and the DM has
/usr/lib64/libnss_winbind.so* and

# grep winbind /etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd:      compat winbind
group:       compat winbind

This is what you point me at, right?

>> wbinfo --group-info="gfass"
>>
>> is problematic as long as the reported bug isn't fixed, correct?
>
> It seems to be, but only on a DC, unless you can prove otherwise ;-)

I won't touch things for now ;-)

thanks, Stefan